Town of Veazie Planning Board
Minutes of November 10, 2003 Meeting
Chris Cronan called the meeting to order @ 7:01 p.m.
Present: Board Members: Chris Cronan (Chairman), John Manter, Terry Studley, Suzanne Malis-Anderson
Town Officials: Allan Thomas (CEO), Beckie-Jo Woods (Deputy Clerk)
Consideration of Minutes:
1. On #12 under areas important to the Town, should read, “Two hundred thousand dollar houses next to trailer parks.
2. Under hopes for open space: Connecting the two Town forests on either sides of Chase Road.
-Terry Studley moved to accept the October minutes as corrected. Seconded by Suzanne Malis-Anderson
Item 1: Consideration of Town wide planning:
Terry Studley gave the Board a list of proposed changes to the Land Use Ordinance that he felt that should take place. The proposed changes are as follows:
1. Change the open space requirement in a new subdivision to a % of the developable property. (change wording)
2. Change the required amount of open space in a new subdivision in any applicable zone to 50% of the developable area. (change wording)
3. Allow the transfer of 100% of the required open space area in a new subdivision to a receiving area approved by the Planning Board.
4. All rights to transferred designated open space will be controlled and owned by the Town of Veazie or a designated overseeing organization and will not transfer back to the owner if these ordinances are ever changed.
5. Change the maximum density requirement to 1 lot per acre of developable land.
There was general discussion about these changes.
-John Manter stated that he agreed with option 1. He also mentioned that the Board needs to clearly define where the receiving zone is to be located.
-Chris Cronan stated that is the open space is included in the lot size; the developer will be able to have more than one house lot per acre.
-Terry Studley felt that the density for housing should also change.
-Allan Thomas stated that part of the ordinance should regulate any transfer of open space between land owners.
-John Manter had concerns with open space containing wetlands or swamp lands.
-Allan Thomas stated that wetlands need to be protected, and suggested that lower values be placed on any wetland or swamp land that is being considered for open space.
-Terry Studley suggested the Board prioritize the land that they would like to have for open space.
-Allan Thomas stated that having an organization and not the Town, hold the development rights would be in the best interest of the Planning Board. He also mentioned that the Board should focus on #4 and #5 for now.
-Chris Cronan stated that he didn’t agree that #1 or #5 is the way to go. He felt that the landowners might feel that they are not getting the full use of their land. He also mentioned that the Conservation Commission should be able to control the rights of open space defined in #4.
-John Manter agreed to work on ordinance language for the next meeting.
-Chris Cronan handed out a map of the Davis property that included shaded areas that Chris felt would be most beneficial to the Town is Tom Davis developed.
-John Manter stated that he would like to see development off the Buck Hill circle, and the ridgeline off Chickadee Drive.
-Suzanne Malis-Anderson will document all of the flowers that are located on the Davis property.
-Allan Thomas will try to set up a meeting with Terry Dewain for early December.
-The next meeting is December 8, 2003.
-Terry Studley made a motion to adjourn @ 8:45 pm
Deputy Town Clerk