Town of Veazie Planning Board
Call to Order: 7:00 PM
Present: Board members C. Cronan (Chairman), T. Studley, J. Manter (Recorder of the Minutes), and S. Malis-Anderson (seated by the Chairman); Town Official A. Thomas (CEO).
Meeting Minutes: 19 August 2002 - motion to approve as read: C. Cronan. seconded: T. Studley, voted 4-0.
WORKSHOP DISCUSSION ON OPEN SPACE ISSUES
Draft of Transfer of Development Rights Ordinance
These following were raised and discussed -
- Other communities' ordinance language - since only a pair of Maine municipalities have such an ordinance, it was the consensus to leave this matter to Town attorneys and explore conceptual development;
- A. Thomas, CEO, explained his inclusion of the Groton, MA. case study as a contrast of on-going development of their TDR concept, contrasting pre- and post incentive additions;
- Priortization of incentives - the Board examined how incentives might reflect a developer's priorities;
- Recreation "Areas" - instead of "recreation" in general;
- Contiguity concept - preservation of contiguous open space that preserves working trail networks and viable wildlife habitat; and
- Reflection of priorities in the Comprehensive Plan: i. scenic views, ii. wildlife conservation; iii. buffers between different land uses; iv. trail use; v. recreation requiring facilities; vi. historic preservation; and vii. preservation of agricultural land.
Open Space Prioritization in TDR ordinance
These following were discussed -
- Identifying developable lands in Conservation Corridor;
- Setting out areas meeting Comprehensive plan criteria;
- High priority: connections with Town-owned property;
- Ratio of incentives for developers using TDR: five-to-one with lower ratios as incentive for meeting Town-owned property;
- Ratio of incentives for developers using TDR: five-to-one with lower ratios as an incentive for meeting Town Comprehensive Plan priorities?
(J. Manter to re-craft State of Purpose section to reflect concepts developed during this discussion.)
- professional layout - will require Board and Planning Consultant discussion;
- T. Studley inquired on the availability of maps & overlays.
Next meeting - 15 October
- TDR open space issues - continued discussion
- buffer allowances & requirements.
Adjourned: 8:40 PM