History Header

The Town of Veazie, Incorporated March 6, 1853 The Town of Veazie was founded by General Samuel Veazie, born April 22, 1787 in Portland, Maine. He joined the militia as an ensign where he took part in the War of 1812. He rose rapidly to the rank of general, a title he used the rest of his life. He later settled in the Bangor area and in true entrepreneurial spirit he bought the Jackson Davis Mills in Old Town and continued to buy mills on the west side of the river until he owned all of them from Old Town to Bangor. In 1853, the area known as Ward Seven (north Bangor) was incorporated and named the Town of Veazie in honor of the General.

By this time in history, the towns along the Penobscot River had achieved prosperity exploiting the State's vast lumber resources that were cut and floated down the river to mills in and around Bangor. By the 20th century, the Town of Veazie and its environs began to shed much of its lumber past and a more modern economy emerged.

The Town has since attempted to balance residential and commercial development. Bangor Hydro-Electric continues to maintain a hydroelectric dam in the Town along the banks of the Penobscot River. Manufactures and wholesalers take advantage of Veazie's proximity to local markets with operations in local industrial and commercial sites. At the same time, Veazie has become a bedroom community where residents take advantage of the Town's beauty and convenient location. Many of the larger houses built in the 19th century can still be found along Main Street.

While Veazie's location determined its economic history, it will also serve as a primary advantage in the Town's future development. It borders the City of Bangor to the south and the Town of Orono to the north. Bangor is the area's largest city and is the site of an international airport and the region's major health care facility, the Eastern Maine Medical Center. The University of Maine System's largest campus is located in Orono and boasts such major attractions as Alfond Arena, home of the Black Bear sports teams, and the Maine Center for the Arts.