Skip Navigation
Search
  • Online Services
  • Forms & Applications
  • Hours & Contacts
Search
 
This table is used for column layout.
  • Town Resources
  • Charter & Ordinances
  • Minutes & Agendas
  • Subscribe to News
  • Contact Us
  • Community
  • Business Directory
  • Recreation
  • Recycling
  • Schools
 
Council Minutes 09/09/2002


PRESENT:        Chairman Hathaway, Councilor Kelly, and Councilor Hogan; Manager Reed, CEO A. Thomas, Assistant Clerk K. Gifford, CES Representative Pete Tuell, Sewer District Treasurer Esther Bushway, School Committee Chair Rebecca Wetherbee and Police Chief Mark Leonard.  Councilor Cheney and Councilor Friedman were excused.

ITEM 1. The September 9, 2002 Veazie Town Council was called to order at 7:00 PM.

ITEM 2. Consideration of minutes:  Motion By:  Councilor Kelly -- to accept August 12, 2002 minutes as written.  Seconded:  Councilor Hogan, Voted 2-1-0 in favor.

ITEM 3. Consideration of the Agenda:  Manager Reed just wanted to talk about the award the Town won at the Governor's Annual Conference.  This was added as item 6c.

ITEM 4. Public Comments:  There were no comments from the public.
                

ITEM 5a.        Thomas Mooney - State Senate Candidate
Thomas Mooney was unable to attend.  Manager Reed noted that Senator Tom Sawyer would like to come to a future Council meeting as well.


ITEM 5c.        Mutual Aid Agreement - Police Department
Chief Mark Leonard was present to request approval of a formalized Mutual Aid Agreement.  The currant written agreement was a 1993 document.  Chief Leonard outlined that this was a more regionalized mutual aid agreement.  The old one just had Bangor and Orono, this one includes Old Town, Hampden, Brewer, University of Maine and Penobscot County.    

Motion By:  Councilor Hogan to adopt the Mutual Aid Agreement as presented.  Seconded:  Councilor Kelly, Voted 3-0 in favor.  

ITEM 6a.        School Committee Discussion
Manager Reed outlined that that two letters of interest had been received and added that in the past the Town Council has appointed the individual per Town Charter.  Manager Reed recommended that the Council review the letters and invite the two individuals to a private meeting to review the two applicants.  School Committee Chair Rebecca Wetherbee stated she would like to have the individual appointed by the next School Committee meeting.  It was the consensus of the Council to invite the two applicants to the next meeting. They will meet at 6:30PM before the usual meeting time.

ITEM 6b.        Municipal Building Update
CES Representative Pete Tuell was present to give an update on the municipal building project.  Manager Reed outlined that Pete Tuell and Gerald Brayall of Buck Construction gave a brief update on the project at the previous Council meeting which turned out to be a workshop due to the lack of a quorum.  The final cost estimate was reviewed and it was noted that it turned out to be somewhat more complicated then originally designed and that additional engineering had to be completed to make it a free standing unit and address roof drainage and snow buildup concerns.  Chairman Hathaway inquired on whether the price was final, Manager Reed stated it was.  

Insulation in the fire bay was discussed.  Manager Reed outlined that the insulation is something that can be done after the fact.  Pete Tuell stated he will do a cost ratio for heating costs and such.  Manager Reed stated the design and location of the wall units for the fire bay is still being worked on.  Chairman Hathaway inquired on whether this was the only outstanding issue, Manager Reed stated it was.  

Motion By:  Councilor Kelly--to accept change order number 8 for the vestibule.  Seconded:  Councilor Hogan, Voted 3-0 in favor.

Pete Tuell stated the addition is on and vinyl siding is on it as well.  He added that he has given Barney Silver the okay to reschedule paving and Barney Silver will coordinate with Town Electrician Mike Hall to put lights on the parking lot islands.  Once those are installed curbs can be put in then grading and paving can take place.  This will all happen over the next three weeks.  Chairman Hathaway inquired when the project would be finished, Pete Tuell stated by the end of month.    

ITEM 6c.        Governor's Annual Affordable Housing Conference
Manager Reed stated that Penquis CAP and the Town received an award for working together on the senior housing project.  Chairman Hathaway read the engraving on the silver bowl aloud.  Manager Reed stated it was a really nice conference.  He stated that every gubernatorial candidate at the Governor's Conference related affordable housing to a better economy.  Chairman Hathaway inquired on when the project would be complete.  CEO A. Thomas stated in about a month or two.  


ITEM 5b.        Sewer District (Taken out of order)
Esther Bushway was present to discuss the relationship between the Town and the Sewer District.  Chairman Hathaway stated a more comprehensive plan was needed to work together in the future.

Motion By:  Councilor Hogan--to adjourn into executive session.  Seconded:  Councilor Kelly, Voted 3-0 in favor.


Motion By:  Councilor Hogan--to reconvene regular session.  Seconded:  Councilor Kelly, Voted 3-0 in favor.  

Esther Bushway and the Council both agreed to schedule a meeting on September 30th between both boards at 7:00PM at the Veazie Community School.                


ITEM 7. Manager's Report
                
7a.   Enclosed was a memo from CEO Thomas giving an update on the problems he ran into pertaining to the Homestead Exemption issue.
Chairman Hathaway stated he would like to see the Town notify people upfront before their new assessed value is active.  He pointed out that people were more surprised in the changes in the valuations.  CEO Thomas stated in the future if there is more than a ten percent change from the average then he will notify them.  Councilor Hogan inquired on whether something could be put in the newsletter explaining the tax process so residents could have a better understanding of taxes.  

7b.   Enclosed was a copy of the Governor's Annual Affordable Housing Conference outline.  

7c.   Enclosed was a follow-up memo pertaining to Chairman Hathaway's concerns on subdivisions.  In general, Manager Reed and CEO Thomas believe that this matter seems to be addressed at the present time and CEO Thomas has sent out letters and met with concerned persons.  Manager Reed outlined that CEO Thomas researched it and spoke with the Town Attorney and technically a substantial portion of the subdivision was built and they can be built in stages.  In conclusion, the lots are legal lots of record they were just on a paper street.  

7d.   Enclosed was a letter from Adelphia regarding payment received for franchise fees.  

7e.   Enclosed was a letter to Bangor Hydro requesting the installation of a new streetlight at the intersection of Jackson Drive and Buck Hill Drive Extension.  Also enclosed is a letter from Kim Dagher who put the request in writing.  The site was reviewed and the light was needed.

7f.   Enclosed was a copy of the Fire Department's monthly report for August 2002.

7g.   Enclosed was a copy of the Orono-Veazie Water District minutes from their July 12, 2002 meeting.

7h.   Enclosed was a copy of the School Committee minutes and agenda.


ITEM 8. Requests for Information/Council Comments:  Chairman Hathaway asked that a street light be located on the Chase Road by the Town line.

ITEM 9. Warrants:  Town Warrant 5 & 5A, Town Payroll Warrant 5, School Warrant 5 and School Payroll Warrant 5 were circulated and signed.

ITEM 10.        Adjournment:  Motion:  Councilor Kelly--to adjourn September 9, 2002, Town Council Meeting.  Seconded:  Councilor Hogan, Voted 3-0 in favor.  There was no further discussion.  Meeting adjourned.


Respectively submitted,


Karen Gifford
Assistant Clerk




 

Town Office: 1084 Main Street, Veazie, ME 04401
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Phone: (207) 947-2781 Fax: (207) 942-1654
Virtual Towns & Schools Website | Disclaimer & Privacy Statement